Overview of ChoiceStream Services
ChoiceStream offers services that are designed to help our customers, who are usually advertisers, but might be other platforms, networks or ad agencies (“Customers”) deliver highly relevant content, emails, and targeted advertising and promotions.
Pollshare is a polling service operated by ChoiceStream that collects participants’ opinions. ChoiceStream’s Pollshare service gathers your opinions through questions that appear on the Pollshare web site, in display advertisements found on other websites and through social media. Our polls cover a variety of categories that are of interest to our advertising service customers, such as sports, entertainment, and travel. If you choose to participate in a poll, you will be brought to a website where we collect your responses and where you can see the results of the poll you have taken.
If you’d like to opt-out from having ads tailored to you by ChoiceStream (whether through web or mobile delivery mechanisms), please follow the instructions in the “Your Choices: How To Opt-Out of Tracking” section below
1. The Information We Collect and Use In Providing Our Services
We are able to provide more relevant content and targeted advertising by collecting certain information about you, including when you interact with our Services. This may include your interactions with (a) our Customers and their advertisements, (b) other web or mobile-based companies and marketing platforms (such as website content providers and mobile app developers, and platforms that aggregate their data), or (c) Pollshare. We may do this by using automated technologies such as cookies, including non-HTTP cookies,, pixel tags, mobile identifiers and SDKs, each of which we describe below, and in the Section titled, “What are “cookies,” “pixel tags,” and “SDKs,” and how do we use them ?”
We collect and use the following Information in providing our Services:
• Information from marketing companies and other third party data providers (such as website content providers and mobile app developers) (“Data Providers”) regarding their site visitors or app users, customers, or others. This may include information about consumers’ interests or purchase behavior, as well as information about their interactions with websites and apps (including, for example, when they visited the pages, the content they viewed, and the links and ads that they clicked).
• General health data. We may collect, use and share with third parties general data related to health. The following are examples of health-related categories for which we may collect data: beauty, fitness, alternative medicine, headaches, allergies, sleep disorders, physical therapy, diet and weight loss, nutrition, and cold & flu.
• Transactional information from our Customers. Our Customers may provide us with non-personally identifiable information about you.
• Log information. When you visit a Customer’s or Data Provider’s website where our Services are deployed (including when you use Pollshare), our servers automatically record non-personally identifiable information that your browser sends. These server logs include information such as Internet Protocol (“IP”) address (a unique number that is automatically assigned to your computer), the date and time, whether one of our cookies is already set on your browser, your browser type, the website (or mobile application) you are interacting with, and your interactions with our services, such as clicks on ads or interactions with Pollshare surveys. Your IP address provides us the ability to infer your geographic location information.
• Mobile data. Through mobile applications on which our Services are deployed (including Pollshare or applications operated by our Customers), we likewise may collect information about your interactions with those applications (including your IP address and time-stamp information), and information about your mobile device (including device type, handset name, operating system information, mobile identifiers such as Apple IDFA and Android Advertising ID, app-specific identifiers, and a list of the applications your device interacts with).
• Other data collected via automated means. For more details, please see the section further below regarding cookies, pixel tags and SDKs.
2. Additional Information Collected When You Visit Pollshare.
In addition to the information described above, we also collect the following information through Pollshare, which may be used to provide and improve the Services as described in Section 3:
• Your opinions. We gather your opinions through questions you voluntarily answer in online polls. While we collect your responses to questions, we do not ask for or collect personally identifiable information. These responses are stored through the use of a cookie and we explain how this works below.
• Social media information. If you have logged in to Pollshare using an external social media account, we may collect information from that account, such as your public profile, your friend list, and a hashed identifier.
3. How Do We Use and Share the Information We Collect?
We may use this information to help ChoiceStream show advertisements that are more likely to be relevant to you. We also use the information to review the use of our Services and to improve them, as well as to develop new services.
For example, data collected about users through Pollshare may be used to create data segments that are then used in other ChoiceStream Services, such as to tailor advertising and content. Thus, if you provide us information through PollShare that indicates to us that you enjoy the outdoors, we may then send ads regarding outdoor gear or travel ideas, matched to your browser or device (or a browser or device we believe may be yours). Or, we may create data models that indicate that many users with similar attributes to you (such as geographic or interest-based) seem to like the outdoors – and we may then send them ads regarding outdoor gear or travel ideas, based on that same model.
The use of personally identifiable information collected through Pollshare (such as your name and email address) is limited. Personally identifiable information collected through Pollshare is not associated in readable or identifiable form with information relating to a person’s anonymous online (or mobile) browsing activity. It may be used (in hashed, non-personally identifiable form), along with other non-personally identifiable information, to recognize users of the Services (or households) across platforms or across devices, such as smartphones, computers, tablets or related browsers and to target more relevant advertising. Similarly, we (or service providers we use) may employ other information collected through the Services (for instance, IP address), aggregated with information collected from various unaffiliated websites, or mobile applications , and various devices or browsers, in order to provide content and advertisements about goods and services of interest to you across those devices and browsers. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices with respect to it, please visit the consumer choice operated by the Digital Advertising Alliance (an industry-wide consortium) at http://www.aboutads.info/choices/. Other consumer choice tools are provided through the Ghostery Enterprise opt-out program (available at http://www.ghosteryenterprise.com/global-opt-out/), through which you may download the Ghostery Ad Control application and enable information “opt outs” for mobile applications.
Sometimes, we integrate our information with other platforms and partners, to allow advertisers to access our non-personally identifiable information, websites and mobile developers we have relationships with, or our Customers’ users, or in conjunction with other analytics or marketing services they provide. This might be done, for instance, by “synching” anonymous identifiers, in order to permit anonymous data that we collect to be used by these platforms and their own customers. Likewise, sometimes we may obtain from other platforms anonymous data they have collected, such as anonymous browser or mobile identifiers, and associated information; this process, too, may involve a sharing of unique, anonymous identifiers in order to create this “synch.” We may do this to permit our own Customers to have access to this data, or to improve the accuracy of the information that we use and make available.
We may share aggregated, non-personal, general information, such as how users interact with our services, how many users clicked on or responded to a particular ad, or aggregated or averaged results from Pollshare. This information does not identify you individually and cannot be used to contact you.